White Laced Red Cornish

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by RhodeIslandReds, Aug 6, 2010.

1. RhodeIslandReds

RhodeIslandReds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    fl
    I got this chick from McMurrays Hatchery yesterday as a day old. I got the chick for a surprise chick, can i use him to breed with my meat flock?

Thanks,
    RIrs

2. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    I would feel you can, but McMurray's has that chick in bantam variety. I have had them and they had awesome shapes and were so heavy, for their size or should I say height.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Yeah, you would want a standard sized bird for breeding in a meat flock

4. RhodeIslandReds

Mar 5, 2010
    fl
    Ok thanks for the replys. What do you fellow bycers like breeding into your meat flock?

Thanks,
    RIrs

5. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    If you like the shape your little cornish comes out with, you might consider going with its standard counterpart. But you already have a good little meat bird. It will fill out fast. Its not like it will eat as much as its standard version. It is a bantam, but a meaty bantam. I really think you will be happy with the outcome. Part of why I liked mine so much is because when I would look at them, I could just imagine myself plucking it and what it would look like dressed on the table. That made me more positive about doing the deed. But I'm not sure what you will breed him/her with though.
    Just wait and see and then think on it. I would want bigger at this point in my life though. Too many kids to feed I guess.

6. MrChicken207

MrChicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Caribou, Maine
    I was just looking at McMurray's print catalog last night, (was on the website a couple of weeks ago). Whe WLR Cornish is available as a standard fowl. It's in the rare birds section, not with the others. This is in addition to the bantams.

7. RhodeIslandReds

Mar 5, 2010
    fl
    Yes the White Laced Red Cornish is under the rare section. Im hoping i can get the nice colors from him/her when i breed the colors in.
    Is it true this Cornish is a Bantam type?

Thanks,
    RIrs

8. MrChicken207

MrChicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Caribou, Maine
    From what I understand, those listed in the rare breeds section are LF type, as they are labled as growing to LF sizes (lbs). Those listed in the bantam section are bantam type, labled with adult weights in oz.

9. RhodeIslandReds

Mar 5, 2010
    fl
    I confused about the samething. They say they reach the same weight as a cornish rock but in slower time. I am going to wait and see how long it takes him/her to a nice weight.

Thanks,
    RIrs

10. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    they do but it takes a much longer time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by