White laced red Cornish

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by red horse ranch, Mar 6, 2014.

1. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    This chick is 10 weeks old and I still don't know the sex. I usually know by the time a chick is 6 weeks old but this one has me
    baffled![​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    I've only seen a few Red/White Laced Red Cornish, the only ones I am familiar with are the Whites. But they do seem a hard lot to sex, or at least, quite different from what I'm used to.

Can you offer a shot comparing it to its clutchmates? Also, are you able to get a better pic of its neck feathers?

Personally at this point I am thinking female but a shot of it comparing its development to its clutchmates' would put things in perspective.

Best wishes.

3. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Can you post a few better quality pics?

Are you sure that this chick is a Cornish? From those pictures s/he doesn't look like it has typical Cornish characteristics like the super thick legs or short blocky face.

4. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    X2. Could you post some clear pictures of the bird standing on its own two feet, then it's possible to get a much better idea.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    We'll need better pictures to tell for sure. However, I'm leaning towards pullet.

6. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    I thank all of you for your responses! All of the opinions I've gotten from here and other sources suggest that this is probably a female so that is what I'm going with. This chicken's personality does not indicate male behavior and you have confirmed what I was thinking.

Sorry the pictures weren't any better. The little buggers just won't hold still for a good shot.[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  7. RICHIEBARKER72

RICHIEBARKER72 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2014
    Anyone know where I can get some red laced Cornish eggs for a 4h project for my 11 year old son

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by