1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

white leg horn yay or nay

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MayhemMarr, Sep 4, 2016.

1. MayhemMarr

MayhemMarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2016
    Michigan
    [​IMG]
    SOOO this little lady is at the pound (thanks for the tip mom) ANNNDDDD I am working the hubby so I can bail her out. I mean it's the pound I HAVE to right? I figured out she is a Leghorn, and ya know because 19 sex link hens and a Jersey Giant Halfling Roo plus a double handful of Ducks is never enough, I need to strengthen my reasons for getting her so the Hubs will cave. My inquiry is this my lovely BYCers, What are YOUR thoughts, opinions, and feelings on the White Leghorn Hen???

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Definitely a little Leghorn hen. Looks to be in good health, but you should definitely quarantine her for 3-4 weeks before adding her to your flock, since her origins are uncertain.

3. MayhemMarr

MayhemMarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2016
    Michigan
    ummm this might be rather silly but how about should I do that? Like how far away from the others? and during that time should I keep my flock in their run or will I still be able to let them free range daily?

4. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Not silly at all. She should be physically locked up and either in a separate building or at least 200' away outdoors from your hens. We're talking about bacteriums that can be spread by a bit of droppings on a feather blown by the wind. I like to use my basement for quarantine, just stick 'em in a dog crate. You should care for your flock first, wash your hands, and then care for the hen and wash your hands again.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by