white leghorn 61/2 months old still not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by charlene1, Sep 10, 2012.

1. charlene1

charlene1 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2012
    I thought they layed at about 6 months old. Anyone care to comment on this?

Thanks,
    Charlene

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    In my experience chickens are just like human ladies. They all mature in their own time. 6 months is a good average but not the rule. I have two leghorns. My white leghorn started laying a little later at just past 7 months (she is an amazing layer now with big beautiful eggs, occasionally more than one a day). My brown leghorn started early at under 5 months but her eggs were small and are getting bigger as she gets older (she is only about 6.5 months now). I would guess you will have eggs very soon. It all just varies a little from hen to hen. I would not be worried.

3. charlene1

May 27, 2012
    Thank you for answering me!

Another thing is, she is very small. How can she lay large eggs?

4. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Leghorns in general are a much thinner, more bird looking bird than some hens. I also have a delaware and maran who are much fuller breasted and round and have that sort of feather skirt in the back that you think of when you picture a typical hen. Leghorns do not look like that. It is normal for them to have a leaner look and smaller feet.

These aren't the best pictures in the world but if you look at the first picture, my 2 year-old white leghorn is the hen close up in the middle. If you compare her to the two larger hens in the background she is thinner and less round. In the second pic the smaller white bird is the same leghorn and the larger white bird is a delware. You can see the difference in body size. The last pic is eggs and the white eggs are all from the leghorn. She definitely lays the biggest ones. Leghorns are bred as laying birds so they are just magical like that.

If she is eating well and pooping well and her comb looks healthy then I bet she is doing well. I would only worry about her size if she looks like she is starting to lose weight or is not eating. Usually a birds first eggs will be a bit smaller and they will gradually get larger.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Yup, my little leghorn lays the biggest eggs. Be patient; she'll lay for you soon! 6 months is just an average; mine layed at eight months! [​IMG]

6. charlene1

May 27, 2012
    Thank you! You have been great, great info!

7. charlene1

May 27, 2012
    Wow! 8 months! All of our others layed by 6 months. Ok we will be patient. Thank you for the info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by