White Leghorn/Aracauna

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClareScifi

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
Does anyone have chickens that were fathered by White Leghorns and whose mothers were Aracaunas? If so, I'd like to ask you a question or two about their personalities and behaviors. And I'd love to see photos of your chickens at various ages.

Thanks. Or should this be posted in a different forum for maximum responses?

Clare

No, you're in the right area.
smile.png

The thing is, few people have real Araucanas, even fewer have Leghorns AND Araucanas. (although I know one person, but, they're Buff Leghorns not Whites)

If we're talking about real Araucanas here (the rumpless tufted kind) I'd assume the offspring will be on the small side, and be excellent layers.

All will lay light blue eggs, half will be rumpless and half will be tailed, and the color would depend on the Araucana parent.

If we're talking EE's then I'm sure you'll get more responses.
smile.png

What is an EE? Here is a picture of my little chick, a month old today. This picture was taken at least a week ago:

84553_dscf5908cr.jpg

Does that help any?

That's an EE.
wink.png
EE stands for Easter Egger. Remember, Araucanas do not have tails. Hatcheries, feedstores, and some local people claim to have them and sell them, but the trick is to search up what an Araucana really is.

Easter Eggers are what they offer, which are essentially "mutts" that lay blue or green eggs. They come in a variety of colors and usually have beard/muffs (Araucanas have tufts) but the main description of one is that they do not conform to nor are purebred Araucanas or Ameraucanas, yet still lay blue or even green eggs.

So, EE x Leghorn - Makes birds that are all tailed, possibly bearded, possibly flighty or possibly friendly depends on both parents, and all will lay either light green, light brown, or light blue eggs of good amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom