White leghorn bleeding from sore on chest w/bare skin

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by etoh100, Aug 21, 2011.

1. etoh100

etoh100 New Egg

Mar 16, 2011
    New chicken owner. Have 5 white legs raised from chicks with 8 Red Stars. 24 week old white leghorn; just noticed blood on chest 3 days ago and pale comb. Picked her up this AM and noticed large patch of bare skin overlying chest with a furuncle in center of patch slightly scabbed over. Seems to be eating & drinking ok. Not sure what poop looks like, but the roost pole in coop looked like it had some old blood on it. Not sure if from chest wound or poop. Last week I added a splash of bleach to water bucket to disinfect nipple waterer system which I've done before. None of other 12 chickens having any noticeable problems. I have some permethrin dust/powder if needed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. WilsonAcres

WilsonAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Milton
    Id separate her from the others to start with. Chickens peck at wounds a lot.once you get her separated you'll be able to clean her up a bit and also make sure she's eating pooping and drinkin and thats the basics that I know im just learning too so hopefully someone with more experience will chime in [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by