White leghorn brown eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ssdailey, May 8, 2016.

1. ssdailey

ssdailey New Egg

Feb 11, 2016
    Augusta, GA
    I have a white leghorn hen who's about 8-9 months old. She got sick in January and almost died and I managed to bring her back again. She's been outside and which the other chickens for months now. I've been waiting for her to finally start laying and she finally has. I found 1 egg in a flower bed one day and today she got comfy in the nesting box. Now I know that egg in the flower bed was hers! However I'm confused why she is laying small light brown eggs instead of large white eggs??

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Can you post a picture of her? My guess is that she is most likely a white rock. What color are her earlobes - red or white?

3. ssdailey

ssdailey New Egg

Feb 11, 2016
    Augusta, GA
    Okay I can't figure out how to post a picture. It won't let me select it from my phone. But they're red

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Where did you get her? Why do you think she is a white leghorn?

There are a lot of different breeds of chickens that are white and there are a lot of mixed breed chickens that are white. Many of these can and do lay brown eggs. When a pullet first starts to lay the eggs are often pretty small compared to what they will eventually be. They gradually get bigger. I realize since she was sick her timing is probably off.

There are two things for sure that say she is not a leghorn. She is laying a brown egg and her earlobes are red. A leghorn’s ear lobes should be white.

She may be a different breed, she may be a mixed breed chicken, but she is not a leghorn.

5. ssdailey

ssdailey New Egg

Feb 11, 2016
    Augusta, GA
    We got her and some of her siblings from our friends family owned farm down the street from our house. She does her best to keep her chickens separated. She has a large coop with breeds devided into rooms. Her siblings have the white earlobes

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 - sounds like there was a bit of a mixup somewhere along the way - either way you have a happy, healthy bird who is producing some lovely brown eggs.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by