White Leghorn can't stand or walk , Three more pullets limping

TRACTS Chickens

Hatching
8 Years
Oct 10, 2011
hi just wondering if anyone could shed some light on this. we have ten RIR pullets and eight WLH pullets in the same coop, All are seven months old ,and have been laying eggs now for two + months. found one of the WLHs sitting on the coop floor sunday ,she can't stand or walk ,yesterday (tuesday) three more of the WLHs are limping. RIRs don't show any signs of trouble. Anyone have any ideals what could be wrong or how to treat this? all are eating and drinking and very aleart Thanks.

Quote:
Need more information:

How long have these birds been together?

Is there a rooster with them?

Have there been any changes to the flock or living conditions recently?

Have you or do you vaccinate for any diseases?

What are you feeding them?

Do you have a picture of the birds? There are some diseases that will effect a bird's ability to stand. However, there could be other things effecting the birds like a particularly nasty bully bird.
How much time do you spend just watching these birds interact.

How high are the roosts from the ground. I serious doubt this is an issue since the lighter birds are limping and not the heavier birds.

HOW about bumble foot? Have you looked at the bottom / soles of the leg horn's feet?

More information is needed....
sad.png

Sounds like it could be Marek's. Some breeds are more resistant than others. Were they all vaccinated as day olds? Maybe the RIR's were vaccinated and the WLH weren't. It doesn't keep them from getting it, just from forming the tumors and from shedding the virus as much. I wish you the best.

I agree with Sheriff. Sounds like Marek's. They can get it at 7 months old, but frequently it's at a younger age.
Any new birds in the last few months? With Marek's they can act bright eyed and bushy tailed with an appetite, just can't walk.
I hope it's not but it sounds like it could be.

thanks for replys thought i should follow up , someone else may have this problem . called county ag agent after posting he asked if feeding had been changed ,to which I replyed that we had gathered our field corn two weeks prior to having the white pullets go lame ,and had been feeding maybe six or eight ears per day to red and white pullets. He said white pullets are smaller body high egg producers and can suffer from calcium deficiency before other birds, so we stoped feeding the corn, which by the way is white field corn if that makes any difference, and all the lame pullets began to mend. put the first sick one i found back in the flock today 11/24 she is doing fine has even began to lay again. they have all been on laying pellets since aug and have had a feeder full of oyster shell since begining to lay first soft shelled eggs. But i noticed that the pullet that was worse than the others refused to eat the oyster shell while she was seperated from the others no matter how i gave it to her. i have been throwing a handfull now and again out to the others ,they eat it like its a treat. so i guess the county ag agent knew what he was talking about. Thanks again for the replys

Thanks for the followup. I wish more people did it. It's sad when they are sick, but the info and follow up can save many chickens. I'm happy your hens got better, and must have been calcium deficient. I would have never thought. And the corn. I know they warn about corn for horses, it may carry some type of mold that can make horses sick.

Hope everything stays well.

Back
Top Bottom