1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White Leghorn Chick??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickenlickin8, Apr 14, 2012.

1. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    This pretty little chick came out of a White Leghorn egg. It has a pea comb....strange. Could it be a mix of leghorn/easter egger? I told the lady about it and she says she keeps the chickens separate by breed but I'm thinking the Ameraucana Roo got in with the leghorns and this chick is the result. If it is a Leghorn/Easter Egger, will it lay white eggs like a leghorn or could it lay easter egger eggs?

[​IMG]

2. chickenmaniac

chickenmaniac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    Arizona
    definetly not a leghorn does it have feathers on the feet? if it does it might be a blue cochin

3. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    What color are it's legs? It's coloring is not common for an EE chick so I'm thinking it's a Blue Andalusian mix, they lay white eggs.

4. chickenlickin8

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    The legs are yellowish and clean legs. I will take a current pic.

5. chickenlickin8

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    I ran outside and took a few current pics...the chick is 4 weeks and looks to be a pullet. Look kinda like part Leghorn mix with what?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    It can be Leghorn mix but second generation- first generation are always white. Don't hold on girl thing too much- it easy can be boy.

7. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    I don't see any leghorn in that chick at all! Looks like it has a rose comb? Whatever it is, it's a cockerel!

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I guess I'm thinking the leghorn was white--idk why, since they can come in brown also. But, I believe the white leghorns are dominant white, so I don't think that chick had a white leghorn parent on either side. Have you sent a pic to the breeder to see what she thinks?

9. chickenlickin8

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    I spoke with the breeder about this chick and showed it to her. She was surprised. She has RIR, Leghorns, Barred Rocks, and Ameraucanas that she keeps separate by breed according to her. They do turn the chickens out by breed to free range. Maybe a rooster flew into another coop and mated with a leghorn hen? The chick came out of a white egg she gathered from the leghorn coop. I can wait to see what the chick looks like in a couple of months. I will post new pics as it gets older.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by