white leghorn chicken

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jancvit, Jun 29, 2011.

1. jancvit

jancvit New Egg

May 15, 2011
    I bought 3 white leghorns back in april I was assuming they were hens because i asked for white egg layers. Now I have one of them that crows like a rooster Do you know how i could actually tell if it is a male or female?? Do the hens actually cocka adoodle doo??? thanks

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Not really a full blown crow, but many do make a crowing kind of sound, not always easy to tell apart from the male's without some experience or a known roo for comaparison.

I'd suggest you look around some in "What breed or gender is this?" There are some specific characteristics, particularly pointy saddle and hackle feathers. There is also stance and larger comb and wattles, and some other stuff. It's easiest if you're accustomed to seeing the difference, particularly within the same breed. In some breeds you're almost limited to hearing a crow or finding an egg -- but with Leghorns it isn't too difficult. Even if they're not laying yet, if the crower has a distinctly redder comb and wattles, it's probably a he.

If you can post pics we can probably tell you.

3. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Post a picture in this section, and you'll get an answer within an hour [​IMG]

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Quote:And sometimes a different answer two minutes after that [​IMG]

But seriously, at three months we should be able to tell. Look around here for pics of roosters, larger redder combs, hackle and saddle feathers.

5. gunnarmcc

gunnarmcc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    SSF, CA
    Quote:And sometimes a different answer two minutes after that [​IMG]

But seriously, at three months we should be able to tell. Look around here for pics of roosters, larger redder combs, hackle and saddle feathers.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by