White leghorn chicks, not roosting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AimsChickies, Oct 26, 2008.

1. AimsChickies

AimsChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    SW Florida
    I have some 2 weekish old white leghorn chicks that dont use their roost. Will it just take them time, or is there something I should do to try to get them to use it?

2. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    well I'm no expert but at 2 wks they still need each other for warmth so they will huddle instead of roosting

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I put a broom handle I cut off and put it 2" off the bottom of their brooder. They were getting on it at a week old. Now they are almost a month old and I put a 1"x2" board across one end about a foot off the floor of the nursery coop and they are on and off it. I made a mini run off the side. The little girls coop has a pop door to their run. I let them out during the day but shut them in at night as they are still small. I have a heat lamp in their coop. Some cuddle on their roost and some in the pine shaving on the floor under the roost where the lamp is.

4. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    When mine were little they didn't roost and they still don't roost now. They just sleep on 6 inches of straw every night and they like it.

5. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    mine are 6 mths old now and I have a frizzle banty that refuses to sleep anywhere but on the floor.

6. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    I have silkie's that are 20+ weeks and they refuse to roost. At 2 weeks though, they are still a little young. None of mine went to the roost that early!

7. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

When mine were 2 weeks old I gave them scraps of 2x4's and 4x 4's on the brooder bedding and they loved to roost on those. Non-wolmanized of course. It takes a long time before roosting behavior is established and it seems linked to pecking order so don't worry, they get :lol:to it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by