white leghorn disposition

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by AmyLM, Mar 18, 2015.

1. AmyLM

AmyLM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2011
    Buckley washington
    We are doing a test with 6 white leghorn chicks to see if they will work out ok with our style of farm... however I can already tell that they are definitely more flighty than most of my other chicks have been. They are currently in with two broody silkies that are great mommas and very laid back. Will being raised by silkies help improve their dispositions?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Leghorns and any bird that came from the same area (Meditranean class) tend to be flighty. They do good with other birds just like many others but if you don't want them to be as flighty you are going to have to work and tame them as much as you can.

3. AmyLM

AmyLM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2011
    Buckley washington
    Blah. Shoot. Was hoping they would calm down with calmer birds. We would like to add better larger/xl egg layers but if they are too flighty then they will spook and fly over the electric mesh netting in the pasture. Most of my birds run/fly for cover when there is danger. Im not sure these ones will. They just take off in all directions and even now are so spooky that i can hardly pick them up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by