White Leghorn gone broody!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenwoods, Apr 16, 2008.

1. chickenwoods

chickenwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    **||OKLAHOMA||**
    She slep on nest yesterday,and set on nest all day today,,went to pick her up to pet her,and her brest was bald!! shes a white leghorn!!! i stashed some more eggs under her today!! Hope she stays put,i cant wait to see what my chicks will look like!!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Best of luck. Don't forget to mark the eggs you set and make sure no new eggs show up in her nest. Don't want half developed eggs!

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I guess she didn't read the Leghorn's don't go broody book either.

4. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    every now an then youll have a non broody breed go broody.an your leghorn decided she wanted tobe broody.

5. chickenwoods

Apr 29, 2007
    **||OKLAHOMA||**
    Still on the nest!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant wait!!

6. chickenwoods

Apr 29, 2007
    **||OKLAHOMA||**
    Shes a very docile bird,but if i pick her up everyday to get the unmarked eggs out from unda her will it distract her from being broody? i really dont want to mess her up!This is her second spring, I have broody breed birds but none of them have gone before..i want little chicks..

When i approach her she really doesnt puff up or peck or nothing, like my other hens.but shes always been nice....but do you think other birds will get in theyre with her and lay eggs?

7. fivebigreds

fivebigreds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2007
    middle Tennessee
    I have a white leghorn that went part broody , she never sat on the nest but, when she was laying she would puff up at me. when she finished laying she would take spells calling her imagionary chicks and dareing the other hens to get close to them. That lasted about a week and i guess she thinks they can make it on their own now. [​IMG]

8. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    I have a buttercup hen sitting right now and I didn't think they were the motherly type but I guess she didn't read the book. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    That is so cool!!! I would love to have someone go broody. The closest I have come was my EE......she got all nasty and refused to give up her egg....gave me that "don't you dare touch my baby" look. She sat on it a whopping 5 minutes, got up, looked at it like "hmmmm......must be a dud" and left. [​IMG]

10. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by