White Leghorn lame outof the blue!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Geologist, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Geologist

Geologist New Egg

Sep 23, 2010
    New Jersey
    I have a small flock (4 chickens). One of them is a White Leghorn that just this morning was completely fine, laid a nice egg yesterday and untill noon today was completely healthy with no signs of anything amiss. At lunch today I noticed that she was laying on the ground. I found that she can move her wings and her head, but her legs are completely lame. Her toes are curled up and completely useless. Any ideas on what could possibly have happened? Also, she is normally very skittish and today she let me pick her up, which is very odd. No evidence of a racoon or anything like that and the other chickens are perfectly healthy also. Any help would be appreciated!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  3. Geologist

Geologist New Egg

Sep 23, 2010
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the info. Based on her age and the symptons given in the article, though, I doubt that it is Marek's. She is over 2 years old.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    She couldve jumped down from a high roost or other high location that couldve sprained a tendon or ligament. It would be best to place her in a cage or crate, provide feed/water. You want her injury to heal and not letting her trying to walk or run around, aggravating the injury further. These type of injuries take time to heal, anywhere from a few days to weeks, months, or never. You can buy some vitamin B complex, crush a few tablets into powder and sprinkle it onto her feed for her to eat. The vitamin B complex may or may not help the injury heal quicker. Time heals these types of injuries.

5. i think its coccliodosis.our hens had it and they died a day after :hit i don't know how to fix it. but i hope she gets better. and if it is, separate her ASAP because i think its a virus.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  6. Geologist

Geologist New Egg

Sep 23, 2010
    New Jersey
    The next day she was completely fine!! As if nothing happened. I guess she had a bad jump off of the top of the coop ramp. Thanks for the responses though! I certainly got an education as to what different causes there can be for paralysis.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by