White Leghorn laying brown eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mainechicken4523, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Mainechicken4523

Mainechicken4523 New Egg

Nov 8, 2011
    I am new to having layer hens this year and my chickens are finally starting to lay! I have three older hens (two white leghorns and a RIR) who are a little over 6 months old. I also have six other birds who are a few weeks behind them. (Two more RIR's, two araucanas, and two barred rocks) For the last month I have been getting two brown eggs and one white egg almost every morning. I had originally thought that one of the younger RIR must be laying a brown egg early but at this point there's no way my huge white leghorn would not be giving me any eggs. I collected eggs this morning and then this white bird went into the coop, so I waited around with curiosity to see what I would find. Sure enough, my enormous white leghorn has all along been producing a light colored brown egg with darker brown speckles. Has anyone heard of this before????? Like I said I am new to having chickens but I have read a lot and never heard this before. If anyone has any similar stories or feedback for me I would love to hear about it! Thanks! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Sounds like one of your younger hens to me. Are you sure the egg wasn't already in there when she went in? You can check to see if she is laying by checking the width of her pelvic canal. Or maybe she is not purebred leghorn? Sounds like a pretty egg.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Sounds like you've got a White Rock instead of a White Leghorn? Lots of people get the two confused [​IMG]

4. Mainechicken4523

Mainechicken4523 New Egg

Nov 8, 2011
    Wow I just looked up white rock chickens and she fits the description perfectly. I always thought it was strange the two white birds were incredibly different in size, the actually leghorn being much smaller. I hadn't even heard of the breed before.....thanks for the help:D

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

My favorite breed. The White Rock.

6. OregonPoPo

OregonPoPo New Egg

Aug 19, 2012
    Geez... I thought I bought Leghorns... I got that breed just for the laying capacity.

Now they're laying as good as my RIRs, but they are brown and blotchy... Kinda like the egg has been spray painted with a little white..

I know this is an old thread... Resurection!

7. MaryHuff

MaryHuff New Egg

Aug 10, 2017
    Thank you for this post. I thought I had a Leghorn too and noticed the brown eggs. Looks like I have a Rock too! She's also the leader of the bunch, just like the White Leghorn I had last year that I lost too a weasel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by