1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White Leghorn lays beige/pink eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sphinx, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I am 99.9% sure it's my white leghorn. She's been laying for 3 weeks today, and has only missed two or so days since then. If I go outside at about the time I find an egg, she's the only one I've ever found in the hen house.

However, the eggs she lays aren't pure white. They look *almost* white, but not exactly.

I'm really sad because today, she laid one that was that same beige-y color, but with white speckles. Unfortunately, my five year old was so excited by it that she grabbed it and dropped it on the tile floor. [​IMG]

Here's a photo of hers compared with a storebought white egg.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyway, I've wondered about the fact that I'm sure she's a mutt. She has the occasional black feather, and I've wondered if maybe that's the cause of the color variation.

Here's Clover:
    [​IMG]

So, what do you think?

2. palochknldy

palochknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Palo, Iowa
    She looks a little like mine and I was told it was a California White. She also is laying "tinted" white eggs. They seem to have just a little pink or beige tint to them.

3. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    My leghorns are snow white with white earlobes no black feathers and I was thinking the same thing. The eggs ARE white, but not as chalky white as a storebought white egg. maybe it's due to the washing process the storeboughts go through?

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Black flecking indicates some other blood in addition to leghorn.

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:Yes she looks like a half white leghorn and they DO lay slightly off-white colored eggs.

These girls are the result of my RIR roo over White Leghorn hens:
    [​IMG]

And they lay the off white colored eggs in the center row:
    [​IMG]

6. Garryscowgirl

Garryscowgirl New Egg

Jul 30, 2013
    My white leghorns eggs look exactly like yours does. Same beige color and im sure its hers.

7. kada6305

kada6305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    My leghorn layed an offwhite color egg today as well.ill get a picture later.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  8. kada6305

kada6305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    This is our egg we found this morning. It is either from our leghorn or a duck egg, but wouldn't a duck egg be bigger? anyway here is a picture comparing it to a store bought egg.

[​IMG]

9. KM Soluition

KM Soluition New Egg

Mar 22, 2013
    I have the same problem except mine were called California white becuase they have some black speckles in the hends. The eggs are not as white as I was told they would be, the are beige.

10. Birdine

Birdine Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2015
    Yes. I went out to the nesting boxes this morning and found a super tiny egg the size of a tablespoon the only chickens i have that lay white eggs are my silkie and 4 white leghorns. It was a creamy beige color like yours. I didn't know if it was the silkie or leghorn. Anyone know if the first egg is maybe a creamy color?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by