White leghorn - lethargic, diarhhea, not eating or drinking, comb 'unhealthy'

chicknmom

Songster
7 Years
Nov 30, 2013
I know there are many online posts about sick chickens, but I couldn't find anything specific to help here. Would appreciate some general suggestions, please.
I have a young white leghorn (~ 5 months old) who has suddenly declined (the other chick mates are fine). We had extreme heat here, of about 100F for a few days in a row. There are large trees over the chicken area, but it was still very hot. I added a water mister to try to help cool it down for my girls. Their drinking water has occasional added electrolytes.
This white leghorn's comb has flopped over and is purplish. She will not eat or drink. I have now got her separated in my garage, with water and canned cat food to try to entice her to partake, but she won't. She isn't even standing up any more. She is sitting in a her own blackish diarrhea (yes - I clean it, then she poops again). Today is day 3 of her decline.
Her body feels plump and firm - almost a little bloated.
Any suggestions to save this girl? I haven't tried any medication yet - never know what to try.
Thanks.

Do you have any pictures of her as she looks now? Is her tail held down or up? Has she started laying? She may be suffering from a premature reproductive infection, but a heart ailment or ascites might also be occurring. Coccidiosis could be happening with the wet and warm conditions, but there are just so many different problems that affect a chicken. Is she drinking water, or have you tried electrolytes? Corid in her water could help if she has coccidiosis, but she needs to drink the water. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Is her lower belly enlarged between her legs? Can you try offering some bits of scrambled egg and chicken feed made wet with water?

Do you have any pictures of her as she looks now? Is her tail held down or up? Has she started laying? She may be suffering from a premature reproductive infection, but a heart ailment or ascites might also be occurring. Coccidiosis could be happening with the wet and warm conditions, but there are just so many different problems that affect a chicken. Is she drinking water, or have you tried electrolytes? Corid in her water could help if she has coccidiosis, but she needs to drink the water. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Is her lower belly enlarged between her legs? Can you try offering some bits of scrambled egg and chicken feed made wet with water?
Sick white leghorn.jpg

Thanks for your thoughts, Eggcessive. I don't think the pic is much help, but I have attached one. Her tail is still up. It has been very warm here, but not very humid. As mentioned, she is refusing to eat or drink. (The can of wet cat food I gave her is under her neck in the pic - ignored.) It is nice and cool in my garage.

Her comb does look dark, which could be from a heart problem. Does she have an enlarged lower belly? I hope that she will take some fluids for you. You could try to learn tube feeding fluids if you can get a section of aquarium air tubing and a large syringe.

Her comb does look dark, which could be from a heart problem. Does she have an enlarged lower belly? I hope that she will take some fluids for you. You could try to learn tube feeding fluids if you can get a section of aquarium air tubing and a large syringe.

I ordered some corrid - it is due to be delivered today. And I will try to tube some fluids into her. It's hard to not aspirate when giving liquids by syringe - so adding the tube might help - thanks for the suggestion.
I am also thinking heart issues - her abdomen is not hugely swollen, but I think it is somewhat enlarged. She hasn't moved in 2 days. I washed her underside yesterday because it was so gross, and she is very weak. I think she is close to death. :(

Back
Top Bottom