1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

white leghorn liquids comming out/waddle down

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by konjo, Oct 26, 2010.

1. konjo

konjo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2009
    Santa Clarita, Ca
    my white leghorn is not looking to good I turn her upside down and alot of liquids come out and her waddle is down and she is squats down alot can some one please pleace give me any advice Also she 28 weeks and not layed eggs yet ( never mind about the egg just found 1 ) but she is still feeling down ?[​IMG]
    Thank you,

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  2. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    CT
    Can you post a picture?
    I don't know what it could be, but I can give you some things to do that are mandatory for a sick chicken.
    Don't turn her upside down any more. It's good that you found the fluid coming out (if it's an indication of anything; sometimes they just fill their crops up with water and it will all come out very easily), but don't do it again because it is hard for them to breathe in this position.
    Separate her from the flock.
    Keep her warm and relaxed. Take her into the house if you need to. It may help to put her in a blanket-lined open container so that it seems like a nest that she can nestle into. It may also help to cover the container with a blanket to make her feel safer.
    Keep her calm.
    Give her the choice of water and food. You can give her her normal food. Other good foods and liquids are yogurt, cooked egg, greens, sugar water, calcium (oyster shell), and electrolytes (Gatorade). If she is up to eating, she will know what she needs. Just give her normal water, her food, and some egg and see what else she's interested in.

Keep in mind that it may be nothing at all. Sometimes chickens can fool us. If it's nothing, then the squatting is just puberty setting in, and the liquid is probably just water. She may look down because of just laying her first egg and because of puberty. If that's just it, then she will be sleepy tonight and fine tomorrow.

Hope she's OK!

3. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

ive heard those symptoms twice. once my chicken Fred was acting like that and within a week he was all better. the other time my hen Chloe was eggbound and passed away. I hope in your case its the first one, since she isnt laying yet. Not trying to scare you, just giving you my experiences

4. konjo

konjo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2009
    Santa Clarita, Ca
    Here she is

[​IMG]

and the poo

[​IMG]

5. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    How is she eating? 28 weeks seems pretty late for a White Leghorn to not be laying yet. I don't know what it could be.

6. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Is that blood in the POO?? If so you need to treat her for Cociliosis (sp)

7. konjo

konjo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2009
    Santa Clarita, Ca
    She just layed yesterday. I have her inside for now and she is having Gatorade,grapes, eggs ( not eating ) and yogert. Also how do i treat for Cociliosis ?

8. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
  9. konjo

konjo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2009
    Santa Clarita, Ca
    After a night in side her poo is still watery..[​IMG] any help would be great

10. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by