White Leghorn, not walking around, comb has some purple, still eating and drinking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TexasAmateur, Apr 10, 2012.

1. TexasAmateur

TexasAmateur New Egg

Apr 10, 2012
    My white leghorn hasn't been laying for a while. This past weekend the coop was found open. She seems to be losing weight. Have a total of 3 chickens and other 2 are doing fine. The main problem is that she sits and will only take a step once every couple hours.She is missing some feathers near her vent. Any advice welcome.Thanking you in advance.

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Maybe it would help some more if you could upload a picture. Do you have a rooster? This sounds like a respiratory issue to me. I use Poly-vi-sol with no iron for my chickens when they give symptoms like that.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Inspect her for lice/mites. She also might need to be wormed. There may be feather picking going on if she's missing feathers around her vent.

4. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    a purple or blue comb tips on a leghorn in particular says to me frost bite depending on yr location and weather there

if it is frost bite get her indoors and wip out the vasaline jel and rub it gently into comb and keep her indoor for a few days

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by