White Leghorn or White Rhode Island

jhook1997

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 18, 2011
I bought 2 young "White Leghorns" or so I thought. They are now 18 weeks. I have others (Barred Rock, Sex-Links, Gold Comets) All of these are only 14 weeks old. Yesterday we got our first egg and today another. They are brown not white, like I would have expected from White Leghorns. Anyway, I figure either they are not Leghorns or one of the others laid VERY early. Someone told me that they could possibly be White Rhode Islands and that would explain the brown eggs???? Any thoughts?

Here's one of their photos:
92320_100_0322.jpg

Its hard to tell with that picture but it looks like a leghorn. Does it have a single comb? It looks like an undeveloped single comb and no I do not think that bird is laying yet.

Can you tell what color the earlobes are? White are leghorns, red/brown are rocks.
It's hard to tell from the pic, a nice profile shot would help. But I think a leghorn pullet would have a larger comb, they have huge combs overall. It also looks a little heavy to be a leghorn. But I agree, I don't think that particular bird is laying, the comb isn't very red/big.

White Leghorn not old enough to lay yet.

EDIT: HAHA you posted the new pics at the same time I change to White Rocks.

Last edited:
I have heard of golden comets laying at 16 weeks or so and the eggs are brown........maybe it's from one of them???????

Back
Top Bottom