white leghorn pecking

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicken chickie, Nov 2, 2014.

1. chicken chickie

chicken chickie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2014
    Pennsylvania pa
    My white leghorn has taken to pecking my RIRs when they retire at night to the coop ...she stands at top of plank to the coop and tries to peck them as they try to enter ....I know she thinks she is the queen of the roost and her " spot " is right there between the opening of the coop and the plank to the run ...she sits there half in and half out at night almost like she is the protector , like I said that is HER spot ...not that my reds want to sit there they just wanna get by her ...they all seem to settle in once they get by her including her but why does she do this.....I read somewhere that you can get a squirt bottle and squirt her like a cat when she does this and that should stop her but does that help ...currently I just move her out the way and use a firm voice telling her NO , but I am not so sure she is getting the hint and I would feel bad having to squirt her ...but on the other hand I feel bad for my reds trying to go to bed in the coop ...I also read that sometimes they get a little stressed at bedtime and that might be the problem because otherwise they all seem to be ok with each other , what the heck is going on with her [​IMG]

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    They do get 'peckish' at night when going to roost.....as long as no one is getting bloodied or totally kept out of the coop, just let them figure it out. They are communicating the way chickens communicate.

A few squirts isn't going to hurt her anymore than a few pecks is hurting the other chickens.

3. chicken chickie

chicken chickie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2014
    Pennsylvania pa
    Thanks ...I observed tonight and it would appear my dear reds have learned to get around her without to much fuss ...my one red kinda tricked her which was funny too watch ...and once she made it in my leghorn didn't chase her and try and get her .... and my others slipped by her no problem ...so you're right ...the reds worked it out ..and in clever ways

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by