White Leghorn pullet or a sex link (white) rooster??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Woofless, May 24, 2010.

1. Woofless

Woofless Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2010
    SD
    Mmkay, the more I read about chickens, the more I learn....and the more I learn, the more I wonder about my 3 white chickens from the pullet bin at Tractor Supply [​IMG].

The bin was clearly labeled "ASSORTED PULLETS" and we all know how reliable THAT is in the first place. The employee at TSC told me the chicks would generally be "Rhode Island Reds, Leghorns, or various hybrid egg laying strains". It was the 1st chick shipment of the year, only bin in the store at the time, so at least there was no "customer assisted mixing" of bins [​IMG].

95% of the chicks in the bin were brownish (faint chipmunk stripe on back) whereas about 10 of them were yellow. I picked 3 of the yellow ones just for variety. The brownish chicks have all turned into your typical Red Sex-Link pullets, no question in my mind.

My yellow chicks turned into white chickens. They have thinner legs and lighter frames, and generally fit the description of the Leghorns as far as I've read & pics I've seen. BUT....they're growing longer tails than any of my other chickens of the same age (even the few I've already pegged as possible roos)....and I keep seeing pics online of white Leghorn roosters with beautiful, majestic tails and it makes me wonder.

From what I've been reading.....a "red sex link hen" is a cross between a white Leghorn rooster and a RIR hen. Male offspring of this cross are white & females are red, correct? And with purebred white Leghorns, there would be no way to sex them at birth since they'd ALL be white, correct?? IS there such a thing as a white sex-link HEN?? And if not....why would they put white chicks in a "PULLET BIN" unless it was a mistake?

In short, what are the odds my white TSC pullets are really juvenile white roosters? Here's a photo- they all look about the same as this one (sorry, a cell phone is all I have):
    [​IMG]

2. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Leghorn girl

3. Melissa034

Melissa034 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    St. Paris
    picture kinda far away, but from here looks like a pullet

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Leghorn.

5. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    Leghorn girl. I got my Leghorn from the mixed pullet bin at TSC too.

6. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:A red sex-link hen is made from crossing a Rhode Island Red rooster or a New Hampshire Red rooster to white hens that carry the silver gene, like Delawares. The hens will hatch reddish, the roosters white. As the rooster grows, he will often develop reddish patches especially over the wings.

Leghorns are not sex-linked. She was probably vent sexed at the hatchery and determined to be female. Vent sexing is 90% accurate at determining the gender when it's done by an experienced professional and hatcheries pay these people very good money for their expertise.

I don't know of any white sex-linked hens.

7. harewizard

harewizard Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    Maryland
    Here is a 'not so great' pic of my leghorn girls at around 1 year old. I think when your Leghorn's fill out the tail feathers will fit their bodies. [​IMG]

HTH,
    Lisa

[​IMG][/img]

8. Woofless

Woofless Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2010
    SD
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Good deal- I wasn't going to be too thrilled if all 3 of these whiteys turned out to be roosters.....I've already tenatively pegged 3 of my EE's as roos (just waiting to see if I'm right or not, all I'm going on is the combs, none of the other EE's have developed red combs yet LOL) plus I'd bet money my little mystery bantam is a roo (red comb & grew wattles at 4 weeks, plus he's just so MACHO and proud of himself LOL).

Thanks for the input, folks.....this is what happens when I spend WAY too much time (no, seriously...the other day I laid down in fresh straw & nearly fell asleep out there with the chickens) out in the pen watching Chicken TV, without having any previous chicken experience [​IMG]....I watch, I think too much, and I formulate silly questions....but hey, I'm learning and I have you all to thank for humoring and helping me!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by