1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White Leghorn question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bakerjw, Dec 17, 2010.

1. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    Last summer I drove to a good ole boys house to pick up some Silver Sebrights (Which I adore btw). He also had some day old WL chicks. Seeing how the SSs were more of a novelty bird I picked up some WLs from him. It was my understanding that WLs laid white eggs. But the eggs that I am getting from these are a light tan color.

Is there another breed similar to WLs that lay tan eggs? Or have the WLs that I picked up been crossed along the way at some time making them no longer a pure breed? They are all white (Unless dirty) birds and look just like the WLs that I see in pictures.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks

2. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Could be white Rocks, or just overly cross bred Leghorns. ("leggerns!")

3. bakerjw

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    Hmmm... I'm not so sure that they are WLs after all.

After doing some reading and searching I came across the following post. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=357917 According to HBuehler in that thread White Leghorns have white ears. Mine definitely have red earlobes.

Here is one of my roos and the hens that I took the other day. At 7 months old they're not meaty of birds even though the roos are pretty healthy and large.

[​IMG]

I like to know what I'm dealing with however when you get birds from someone who may not be too particular you might end up with some crossed birds.

4. bacres

bacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    East Pennsylvania
    They look to be a cross....

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Definately not white leghorns since they have a meatier body type and no white earlobes. Possibly white rocks unless those are rosecombs.

6. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    They are White Rocks for sure, White leghorns are much skinnier than that. And most hatchery Rocks usually lay a tanish colored egg like you are getting also.

7. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG]

8. bakerjw

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    Good deal.... Now I can stifle those that walk in the yard and spout off with "Ah say boy."
    Thanks for helping be identify these. Should have posted in the next subforum down though.

9. BirdNut

BirdNut Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    Those are White Rocks for sure. I own a couple of hens, and they look just like that. HBeuhler is correct in stating that Leghorns have white earlobes, while the White Rocks have red ones. Here is a picture of my White Rock hen Opal, to show you.

[​IMG]

10. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    [​IMG] Ah more of those white leghorns that lay brown eggs..Just saw some for sale near my house a few weeks ago ad said white leghorns inside it says lays brown eggs OK....if all white chickens lay white eggs then logic would be brown eggs-brown hens blue eggs blue hens but darn I have never seen a green chicken or a black egg [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by