white leghorn question

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Sarevan, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    The white leghorn is supposedly dual purpose, well I guess any chicken can fall under that category...
    What I would like to know if feeding a high protein mash (feather fixer, scrambled eggs, oats) would be a good way to add a bit of fat/weight to a bully leghorn. I seperated her out today, large dog crate in the coop. Her own water and feed. Limited movement. Just finally got disgusted with her, she is 10 months old now. She is a rather lean bird now just want to add some weight to her before she meets the block.
    Advice appreciated. Thanks!

She drew blood on several of the other hens combs pecking one just above the eye, this was while I was feeding a treat. She has always been a bully and it has escalated so she jumps now trying to use her claws. So to the pot she goes.

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Leghorns are not dual purpose chickens. I have never seen a meaty leghorn hen. Your best bet is to butcher her now and make soup. If you wait for her to get fat, you will have her for ever.

3. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    I was afraid of that, have a few days for her to be off meds anyway so hopefully will sweeten her up a bit. Thank you for replying. Chicken n dumplings in the future......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by