White Leghorn Roo crossed with RIR Hen - Is the chick male or female?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Just_Clucky84, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Just_Clucky84

Just_Clucky84 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I have a chick that hatched on March 24th and appears to be a cross between my white leghorn rooster and one of my RIR hens. The chick hatched all yellow and is now developing red tinting/patches. I'm really hoping its a pullet. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    By my calculations that makes it 3 weeks old this Saturday - if it's got WL in it, by 4 weeks old you should be able to tell pullet versus rooster by comb size and color. But I don't know about how the RIR messes with that growth as I don't have experience with that breed.

Here is my WL pullet at 4 weeks old.
    [​IMG]

Here is one of my WL roos at 4 weeks.
    [​IMG]

Here is a group shot of the 4 roosters and 1 pullet. The roos are facing towards the camera, the pullet facing towards the feeder.
    [​IMG]

3. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    I would say it's a pullet. It has some comb coming in, but it looks pretty yellow, and that's normal if it has white leghorn blood. I remember my white leghorn hen had a pretty big comb as a chick too. Can you get any pictures of her comb directly on?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by