White Leghorn roo or hen??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cdunmire66, Aug 10, 2013.

1. cdunmire66

cdunmire66 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2013
    I am new to raising chicken and have 5 white leghorns that are about 4 months old. Because the comb on one was brighter color and standing straight up, i asumed it was a roo....then shortly after, a second one started to develop the same style comb only it flopped to the side - now the first one is flopping to. Does the comb on a rooster fall to the side or are these both hens? I can try to get a picture of them if it helps. [​IMG]

2. ilovechickensx

ilovechickensx Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2013
    UK
    Leghorns often get big, floppy combs - usually when they're close to laying :)
    If you're worried they might still be roos you can post some pics - I'm sure someone would be able to help!

3. cdunmire66

Jun 2, 2013
    I will see if i can get pics of them today to upload. They should be getting close to the age of laying so maybe i do have all hens. Thank you for your response.

4. cdunmire66

Jun 2, 2013
    They don't like getting their picture taken so this is the best i could get. [​IMG] I think i got at least one of each with the floppy combs. Any help?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. ilovechickensx

ilovechickensx Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2013
    UK
    Well from the pictures I don't see any saddle feathers so I'm going to vote hens - but I'm sure someone with more experience will correct me if I'm wrong :)

Do they squat when you try to catch them? This is a sign they are females and are close to laying.

6. chickita12

chickita12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2013
    I agree with Ilovechickensx but I do not have too much experience either !Sorry! Lol

7. chickita12

chickita12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2013
    BTW they are beautiful birds!!!

8. cdunmire66

Jun 2, 2013
    They are hard to catch outside of their hen house because they run from me. I have not noticed any squatting but to be honest, I haven't paid attention for that behavior but I will now. Thanks!

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    As a rule, floppy combs= hens. Those all look like girls. Leghorn's will fool you, they get those combs so large so young! But looks like you should have white eggs incoming!

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Those are hens, and they should be laying eggs soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by