White leghorn Roo??

cflaxy

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 6, 2011
Tucson, AZ
I need some help determining if I have a roo or not. I would like to post pics, but have no idea how on this forum. Cany anyone help me with that? Thanks!

Quote:
First of all:
welcome-byc.gif

2ndly, you can send me an email with the picture of your "roo" and I will sex him/her for you. My email is: [email protected]

You can also go to the FAQ's and it tells you how to post a picture. ~ Aspen
smile.png

OK, I figured it out..I think. First one is a pic of "Ethel" a month ago. second pic is "Ethel" today. 3rd pic is Edie, my otherWhite leghorn. They are the same age, 4 months. No crowing, non aggressive, not really much bigger than the other leghorn and the spur area looks the same on both birds. This is my first flock of chickens and so I am very new to this. If anyone can tell me if this is a roo or a hen I would be very grateful! Thanks!
105833_animal_pics_023.jpg

105833_cimg4283.jpg

105833_cimg4284.jpg

Last edited:
Well your third pic is the same as the pic you just posted but that's okay.

If I were to guess I'd say you have a pullet. The comb is rather pronounced, but my white leghorn also has a bigger comb than the other hens. Another reason I am leaning towards hen is the fact you say it has not began crowing... at 4 months I'd say gross majority of roosters have started crowing. I vote female.

Your post is a little bit confusing though, are those 2 different birds or is that the same bird just an older picture?

Last edited:
Quote:
I would say hen too since no crowing but the comb is so much bigger than the other leghorn of same age.... the first pic is the same bird as the 2nd pic only the first pic was taken exactly 1 month ago. His comb got HUGE in 1 month and the others are still pretty small.

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

In your 1st post:

#1 Hen
#2 Roo
#3 Hen

In your 2nd post:

#1 Hen

~ Aspen

Well, considering the first 2 pics are the same bird I think it is kind of hard to be a hen and a roo! Haha The first pic was taken 1 month ago and the second pic was taken today. The comb grew that much in 1 month.​

I thin Ethel is a boy, I know Leghorns both males and females have large red combs, but Ethel has a long, flowing tail like a roo. Edie looks to be a hen. How old are they? Ethel could still be a female, but that tale and the shape of the wattles screams roo. ~ Aspen
smile.png

I'm going against the grain here and going to say that I think you have two pullets. The one is a POL (point of lay) pullet and the other just isn't as developed yet but I bet will catch up really quickly. At 4 months, we should be seeing pointy saddle and hackle feathers if Ethel were a roo.

Back
Top Bottom