1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White Leghorn - Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DuaneC, Sep 17, 2011.

1. DuaneC

DuaneC Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2011
    So I've got several white leghorns that are all the same physical size, but they may be as much as 2 weeks apart by birth. They were all born mid-April to beginning of May, so that would make them 20-22 weeks old roughly.

I have 7 right now, but had 20. They all had small combs as they became "full sized". Now, I have one whose comb and wattles are markedly bigger than the others and one that's kind of in between. There are no other signs such as tail or saddle feathers, but I've never had leghorns before this year. I bought them all as pullets, of course.

Here are a couple of pics. The one in the foreground has the larger accessories. The ones behind it are for reference with smaller comb/wattles.

Roo? Or just proper development for a white leghorn at this age?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MVchickens

MVchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard MA
    To me it looks like She is going to lay pretty soon. Normal development for a 20-24 week old bird. Mine are just about that age look the same and just started laying.

3. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Look like hens to me. Leghorns wattles and such will get large and red as they start laying. Mine are huge but all hens and all laying.

4. DuaneC

Aug 23, 2011
    Woo Hoo! Thanks! I've been looking for white eggs for a week now. Maybe I'll start getting some. We're hoping to have an Easter basket of eggs with all the different hens we've got, and white eggs were the missing component!

5. ceeceeholt

ceeceeholt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Alabama
    They look like my "so NOT laying yet" White Leghorns!!! Here's to hoping [​IMG]

6. DuaneC

Aug 23, 2011
    I guess my concern was timely. I got my first white egg today!!!

Keep hope alive!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by