1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

White leghorn rooster or hen

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kaitlyn, Nov 20, 2013.

1. kaitlyn

kaitlyn Hatching

Nov 20, 2013
    [​IMG]

I am a new "mom/owner" of two supposed hens. (1 white leghorn and 1 Plymouth barred rock.) They are approximately 19 weeks old and neither have laid yet. I have a growing concern that my white leghorn is a rooster. Pictures below. Any thoughts, advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. :) two hens

1 person likes this.
  3. kaitlyn

kaitlyn Hatching

Nov 20, 2013

I hope you're right! Is the comb on he whit leghorn not too big and floppy for a hen?

4. She will be laying very soon.

1 person likes this.
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That comb is a leghorn trait, and the fact that it's floppy is an indicator of a hen. Rooster's combs don't flop, but you'd be amazed how big a leghorn rooster's comb will get!

At 19 week, your girls are at the earlier end of the laying age, but they look like eggs aren't too far out.

2 people like this.
  6. Hen! Roosters don't have a floppy comb! Roosters combs are big and don't flop. Your girls should be laying soon! She's pretty! I love her floppy comb!

1 person likes this.
  7. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Crowing

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Yep, that's a hen! And as others have said, you'll get some lovely white eggs soon!

1 person likes this.

8. LovePolish2

LovePolish2 Songster

Sep 18, 2012
    Missouri
    Hen :)

1 person likes this.
  9. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Definitely a hen. That's a hen comb. :) (and a hen butt)

1 person likes this.
  10. kaitlyn

kaitlyn Hatching

Nov 20, 2013
    Thank you all so much!

Also, is it ok to let them out of their coop or will they lay and hide their eggs? I try to let them out to stretch their legs and play in the afternoon when I get home from work. Will they lay and hide their eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by