White leghorn sick today, won't eat or drink... No energy

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Invertalon, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Invertalon

Invertalon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I was wondering what I may be able to do to help out our sick leghorn hen... Today she is totally out of it, not eating or drinking and very weak. She seems to have something hard on her neck, which I read about (forgot the name of it) and gave her some olive oil via tube in her mouth and some soaked bread as well in olive oil. Also seperated her from all the others, and she just lays very weak. Yesterday she was just fine, nothing wrong at all.

We also put some of that antibiotic in her water from TSC we picked up, proper dosage and tried to force it in her throat as well. She won't eat or drink on her own. Feathers all down, does not look perky as she normally does.

What can I really do? Anything at all? I really hope we don't lose her, but at this time it is not looking good. It is so sudden... Hopefully she can recover somehow.

Any ideas or remedies to help her? All the other hens are fine. It seems isolated to just her. She is still a few weeks away from laying yet, I don't know if they somehow get this type of sickness before they lay or anything. This morning her poop was very runny, but the last one looked fairly normal a few hours ago.

Thanks!

2. Kitty Cat

Kitty Cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Campos De La Gracia
    It sounds like you know how to tube feed, but if not you can check out my post on tube feeding. Get plenty of food and water in her. I would also give her some vitamin C. I get a bottle of vitamin C from Wal-Mart and dissolve it in a little water then give it via tube feeding. It helps perk them up and boost their immune system. You could also try giving her a little bit of electrolytes. It might perk her up a little bit as well. But I think just giving her the food and water via tube feeding will do her plenty of good until she can eat on her own.

Sorry I can' t offer more help but hope this helps a little!

3. Invertalon

Apr 5, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    What can I feed her via tube feeding? We have been doing olive oil and the medicated water, but not aware on what food to give her.

I will crush up some vitamin C and blend it in water and give her some of that shortly. Thanks!

4. Invertalon

Apr 5, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Went down to check her out again, and she seems to look better. The lump in her throat looks to be gone, and is a lot more lively. I gave her a few more dropper dulls of olive oil, antibiotic and vitamin C diluted in water. It looks like she may be ok but the true test will be how she is tomorrow morning!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by