White Leghorn - Snow White or Prince Charming?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JustDawn, Aug 23, 2010.

1. JustDawn

JustDawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2009
    Alpharetta Ga
    Snow (hopefully) is 3 weeks old. She was sold to me as a pullet. Here are her latest pictures

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

"She" is VERY friendly. Wants to sit in my hand. "She" loves to follow me around the house and explore. What concerns me is the size of her comb for this age.

Thanks
    DAWN

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  2. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Wait and see. ALL Of my leghorns had huge (yellow!) combs very early and several here told me they were roos. If they turn big and red soon, that'll be for sure, but my leghorns stayed BIG and yellow and are just now turning red at 17 weeks. All hens. I think you need to wait longer on yours. [​IMG]

Here is one of my leghorns at three weeks:

[​IMG]

Another angle (thumbnail):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  3. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    3 weeks those are pullets [​IMG] leghorns are pretty easy to sex young the boys get huge combs bright red young.We can start pulling out the roos by a week old and by 3 weeks there is seldom a late bloomer in there.
    We have around 80 leghorns here they are awesome layers

4. JustDawn

JustDawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2009
    Alpharetta Ga
    OK GREAT! That means She's Snow White!!!

5. jaimie44

jaimie44 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2010
    This is interesting! I bought 5 hens and one rooster from Cackle. They are about 18 weeks old. The roo was easy to spot weeks ago. BUT in the last couple weeks one of the "hens" has developed a good size comb! Its not as big or as red as the roos. What do u think?

Foghorn, no doubt a roo.
    [​IMG]

Leghorn in question...
    [​IMG]

For comparison, heres 3 of the girls, the one in question and Foghorn is in the back looking in the door.
    [​IMG]

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

"She" is a hen, she will lay your first egg !

7. jaimie44

jaimie44 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2010
    Oh thats great news! So she is just maturing faster I assume. Thank you for letting me know!

8. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Yah, I'm pretty sure that's a pullet. Mine aren't that big at the same age, but I have three with red combs coming in and one that hasn't even started yet! [​IMG] Leghorns get huge combs, even the ladies, a fact I never bothered to research for my cold climate so now I guess I have to vaseline them when the weather gets cold. [​IMG]

9. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Yes, my girls had some bigish (for chicks) yellow combs too. A few got pink at the base but not red.

This is my first layer, she started laying at 16.5 weeks. Her comb started getting red around week 15? It's huge.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Snow White. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by