1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White leghorn stopped laying

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by wylie18, Aug 12, 2014.

1. wylie18

wylie18 New Egg

Aug 12, 2014
    My leghorn started laying about a month ago. She was my first layer of all my chicks. I was giving all of them the same feed I started them on which was the starter/grower. I changed to layer pellets thinking it may jump start my other girls and it did but my leghorn stopped. This was two weeks ago and still no white eggs. I need some advice.

2. :welcome

Because they are new layers give em some more time. It takes a month or so to get everything ironed out.

You may want to give them the rest of your chick starter feed until it runs out. The extra protein is good for pullets. Feeding layer pellets before they begin laying can disrupt their development. It's not good practice but it's also not the end of the world or anything like that.

Also, look around for a hidden nest spot. They do that some times.

Wish ya the best.

3. wylie18

wylie18 New Egg

Aug 12, 2014
    So you don't think she's egg bound or anything like that?

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think she is a new layer and they can be sporadic till all the gears are in sync.

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I agree. Young layers normally take breaks from laying. Their bodies are still getting the hang of laying eggs.

You must feed them extra calcium now. They need it to produce eggs and so that they don't get egg bound or weak bones. Is she sitting in the nest as if trying to lay? Is she ruffled and lifeless? These are signs of egg binding.

But, it sounds normal.

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. You have been given some good advice by the other BYC members and I wouldn't be concerned at this point. More than likely, she will start laying again shortly. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your White Leghorn hen.

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] As the above posters said she may just need a little time. Another possibility is that she is in fact laying, but not where she's supposed to. If I had an egg for every hen that did that to me by now... I'd have a lot of eggs! She may also be a bit thrown out by the change of feed, what would help there is to mix the new layer feed with some of the old familiar grower feed, so they can get used to it. One of our members wrote a good article on diagnosing and treating egg binding, if you'd like to make sure that's not the case here (I hope not!), have a look here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/egg-binding-symptoms-treatment-and-prevention

8. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

10. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Good luck with your flock. I hope you can get this figured out soon and there are no health issues going on. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by