White Leghorn vs. RIR

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crazychics4me, Sep 13, 2011.

1. crazychics4me

crazychics4me Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2011
    As far as egg laying I posted a little while back wondering how much longer it takes a RIR to lay than a white leghorn. Just thought I'd share that according to my chickens it takes approximately 2 weeks longer for a RIR to lay their 1st egg. We got our 1st brown egg yesterday. YAY!! [​IMG]

2. annep

annep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    [​IMG]

3. ChlorophyllChick

ChlorophyllChick Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2011
    Congrats! Just curious, how many of each do you have?

4. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    Yay! Cool! Having lots of different colored eggs is so fun. [​IMG]

5. crazychics4me

Sep 6, 2011
    I have 3 white leghorn & 10 RIR. I also have 2 babies (supposedly buff orp, but one of them is strange looking) that are not at laying age yet that I purchased to go with some guinea keets. The strange looking one the front (head) half of his body resembles RIR feathers & the back half resembles white leghorn lol. I think the one that looks like a buff orp is a rooster, he is semi-agressive & his feet are meatier than the hens.

6. crazychics4me

Sep 6, 2011
    [​IMG] Here are my girls.

[​IMG] Here are the eggs side by side. You can tell it's been 2 weeks difference in laying for them by the size difference!! I tried to get a pic of the strange looking guy/gal, but he is still in a coop with the babies & keets & keeps hiding behind the roosts & the other babies....

7. crazychics4me

Sep 6, 2011
    bumpin for whoever asked about my chickens!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by