White Leghorn With dried blood from comb on her comb and face. treat?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TJbfarms, Jul 22, 2011.

1. TJbfarms

TJbfarms Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2011
    Pa
    I whipped what I could off of her, but there is still some dry blood caked on where it was open, should I just leave it to heal or should I treat it? I have had bird get little scrapes on there combs but this seems a bit worse.

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Probably will heal just fine, but watch it daily to be sure the others don`t peck it or flies blow it..........Pop

3. TJbfarms

Jul 15, 2011
    Pa
    Ok I just get worried over the littlest mark on my chickens... I still haven't figured out why my Barred Rock has stubs for toes....

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Dunno if it`s possible for yours, but a fellow gave me a bunch of young birds one time that had stubs. Seems he penned them on a wire floor and rats ate their toes through the wire. If that`s a possibilty, it might explain the stubs........Pop

5. TJbfarms

Jul 15, 2011
    Pa
    Quote:Dunno if it`s possible for yours, but a fellow gave me a bunch of young birds one time that had stubs. Seems he penned them on a wire floor and rats ate their toes through the wire. If that`s a possibilty, it might explain the stubs........Pop

Well, he never was really in a situation to have been (haha!) eaten by rats, since he was penned with the others in my flock most/his whole life... I think he ripped one off and then the others just pecked the others away, since they disapeared one by one! haha. I've never heard of rats eating chickens toes![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by