White Leghorn Yucky Butt Issue

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bloomin' Chickens, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Bloomin' Chickens

Bloomin' Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2011
    I have a 9 month old white leghorn mix. I pulled her away from the flock because she didn't look well and the rooster was really giving her a hard time. I looked her over and her vent was very dirty and very red and swollen. I sat her in some warm soapy water, then cleaned it all off. I also cut the feathers back a little so that area would stay dry. Shez eating, pooping and even laid an egg yesterday. There was blood on the egg shell though. I looked at her bottom this a.m. and it looks better, not as red, but therez this white goo around her vent. I know shez getting better, but what do you think it is. Should I be giving her any medicine or just keep her quarantined and cleaned up until her vent is better. She doesn't seem to have diarhea either.

2. flashover1969

flashover1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    Sounds like your on the right track. I would keep her quarantined a bit longer and see how it goes.

3. egghead@1265

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2011
    U.S.
    How is your leghorn doing? We may have the same thing with ours, did her swelling and redness go away?
    [​IMG]

4. egghead@1265

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2011
    U.S.
    Our poor hen didn't make it. We tried some of the suggested interventions, bathing, preparation h, sugar...but perhaps too little too late? So sad, the worst part is when we discovered her we knew she must have been very uncomfortable and probably in pain! Little noise or complaining from her though, but still ...the blood and mess- poor chicken! I don't know what caused this, and did see her lay an egg that had a totally soft shell! Not sure what causes this either, maybe someone knows or it is on here somewhere. So much to know! RIP

Hope yours does better!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by