White leghorns - 4 wks old. Larger combs? Update 12wk pics,post 23.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by featherz, May 27, 2010.

1. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I have four white leghorns, all sexed as female by MPC. These four are IDENTICAL in feathering, size, and comb size - so so far I think I have four of a kind, whatever that kind may be. I can't even tell them apart, unlike the RIR. [​IMG]

They are four weeks old and have zero pink in the combs (although my picture makes it look otherwise) - all have yellow combs, but I notice the combs are much larger than my RIRs (also sexed as pullet). Do leghorns normally have larger combs as chicks? They have been larger even since babies. [​IMG]

My picture is not so hot, as without treats they run to the far end of the brooder like I am an ax murderer. [​IMG] Plus they like that little patch of sun.

So.. All boys? All girls? Too soon to tell? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Leghorns have very large combs. Yours are pullets.

3. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    2 roos 2 pullets on the leghorns

4. LeBlackbird

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Quote:Females do not get large combs til they hit laying age

5. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2010
  6. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I checked out that other thread - none of my chicks have a comb that's THAT big.. /sigh. I guess I'll wait another four weeks and take more pics! [​IMG]

Btw, the brooder is not as small as it looks. It's 6 feet long, but narrow (2 feet wide). They seem to like it.

I have another order from MPC coming in July so as long as they become a lot more rooish by then I can send them a pic and maybe have a few extra chickies with that order. Not sure how I'll rehome more than one roo (I have a friend at work who will take ONE if I have one).

Will update with more and better pics in a month or so and we'll see who is right. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  7. LeBlackbird

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Quote:That bird is Way closer to laying age than these birds, of course it should start developing a comb! Female leghorns at This age shouldn't have such a developed comb

8. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I was referring to the picture on the first page, not the 2nd. The thread was started with a 4.5 week old leghorn chick. That chick has a much more pronounced comb than the OP's chicks here.

I was just trying to give the OP something to compare to. I'm not interested in fighting about it.

9. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Yah, I was looking at the chick on page one. The confusion is my fault, as I realize my pics are not so clear. I'll get better ones in a few weeks and we can hopefully tell a lot better then!

10. LeBlackbird

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Quote:I am not fighting. I've been doing the leghorn project in my 4-h for 4 years. This is not that complicated. These are relitively easy to sex, and there is no way they are all girls

Last edited: May 28, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by