White Leghorns comb disappearing-chicken lethargic-spreading among flock

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Country Mom9, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Country Mom9

Country Mom9 New Egg

Jun 17, 2016
    Hi,
    I'm Country Mom9. We have raised a variety of chickens for over 26 years, but never had White Leghorns. This batch of hens are about one year old and are great egg layers . Last week two White Leghorn hens became lethargic and their combs began to disappear. This morning a third hen is showing the same signs and symptoms. We have separated them from the rest of the flock. We have never had this issue with other breeds we raised. Has anyone else had this issue with White Leghorns?

Thanks so much.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    They could be molting or just taking a break from laying with summer weather. Do you know what month in which they were born? Molting using occurs around 16-18 months old and yearly thereafter, and they stop laying, combs become pale, and they start losing feathers everywhere. They tend to become a little reclusive and don't feel particularly well, which can look like they are sick. In summertime, chickens can also suffer from the heat, and become dehydrated. Provide several water stations in the shade, and try adding electrolytes (such as SaveAchick or other brands) to their water. Some chickens decide to take a break from laying in hot summer or cold winter weather. Hopefully it is one of these things that is bothering your chickens.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  3. Country Mom9

Country Mom9 New Egg

Jun 17, 2016
    Thank you for your reply. I don't remember the month in which they were born.We ordered them from a hatchery. These hens have already molted. I have read on line about blue-comb with the combs turning a blue color. But their combs are disappearing not turning blue. The other hens aren't attacking the combs because there are no sign of blood on the hens.Whatever this is has hit so quickly that three of our hens have died. Their symptoms are nothing similar to molting. We are going to sanitize the coop and keep seeking advice. We are also calling the hatchery to see if anyone else has reported this happening to other White Leghorns.This has us concerned and confused. We have never had this problem within 26 years of raising chickens.We have never raised White Leghorns either and I am wondering if this is breed related. We have Road Island Reds and this isn't affecting them. Again, thank you for your advice, it is appreciated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by