white leghorns how long will they lay for

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blueseal, Jan 9, 2011.

1. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i have 2 of them was wondering when they will slack off they are 16 months old. i was thinking of getting more this year . they are a pure bred so hopefully i can get 3 years out of them. there said to be the best white egg chicken.

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    We do have white leghorns, but the oldest of our flock are only about 1 and 1/2 years old. White leghorns may well lay until they are 3 years old but of course the laying potential decreases over time. If you are interested in eggs for hatching, we do have some and I really enjoy our flock. In about 16 weeks, white leghorns will start laying... Please pm me if you would like some...Thanks and have a blessed day. nancy

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  3. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Last summer a local farmer passed on three of his old white Leghorns to me. He was getting rid of them to make way for younger birds as they were supposedly getting old and not laying as well any more. I think they're now three years old, and I've found them to still be great layers. I can tell which eggs are theirs as they're the only ones I've got that lay white eggs, and I usually get at least two white eggs every day. They shut up shop for about a month there over the worst of the winter (temps as low as -12C) but they're back on track now and firing out eggs like clockwork again. So going by that, yours should be good for at least three years.

I've also found that for the size of them (scrawny!) they pop out absolutely HUGE eggs.

4. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Quote:It's amazing, isn't it? I have big fat chickens that lay these little brown eggs and my scrawny white leghorns lay ENORMOUS eggs every day. Not sure how they even fit those in those little bodies! [​IMG]

5. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Quote:It's amazing, isn't it? I have big fat chickens that lay these little brown eggs and my scrawny white leghorns lay ENORMOUS eggs every day. Not sure how they even fit those in those little bodies! [​IMG]

Ditto - my two leghorns, though the craziest of the bunch, lay HUGE eggs and faithfully at almost two years old. I may not like them, but I would definitely get them again

6. Claudias Coop

Claudias Coop Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2010
    Just getting started on a small backyard coop.
    I have an Amerucana & I was offered a Leghorn, will they get along?

7. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:LOL, yeah! I have one HUGE big fat fatty cuckoo marans who lays very small eggs and my skinny old Leghorns lay the biggest eggs of all. I don't know how they manage it without rupturing something!

8. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Quote:Chickens, unlike people, don't judge eachother by the color of their feathers or the shape of their comb - or tail - or bear and muffs. Just put them where they can see eachother for a week or so, then let them free-range together. There may be pecking at first, but I'm sure they will get along fine after a few weeks. My Leghorn raised two Ameraucana babies.

9. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    my leghorns lay the biggest eggs too. my rhode island reds come in 2nd . lol.

10. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Mine are 2 years and going strong! I get on average 8-9 a day out of my 12!

-Nate

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by