White Leghorns--is that white dominant?

WalkingOnSunshine

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
Ohio
I set a bunch of white eggs from white Leghorns and assumed I'd be able to tell which rooster sired which chicks. But every single chick hatched out completely yellow or yellow with black spots. Now, I would have expected that pattern if the cross was with my RIR rooster, but I'd assumed that they would be from different birds because the Leghorns don't really hang out with the RIR. The other possibles are a lemon blue cuckoo Marans and a wheaten Ameraucana, so I figured I'd know right away who is whose.

I guess the question is this: is the white feathering that dominant that all the chicks would be yellow and/or yellow with black spots no matter who the sire was, or should I assume that the RIR sired them all?

I'm OK with it either way since the RIR/Leghorn cross has been a good one for me in the past. I'm just disappointed that there are no obvious EEs in the group from the Ameraucana.

Thanks!

nicalandia

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 16, 2009
Stuck In a Dream
My Coop
My Coop
I guess the question is this: is the white feathering that dominant that all the chicks would be yellow and/or yellow with black spots no matter who the sire was,

Thanks!
this is Correct. but not only that. the White leghorn is based on the ER or E locus and they are the most dominant loci in chicken genetics so they will hatch all yellow because dominant white dilutes the ER or E black chick down to white

Kev

Crowing
12 Years
Jan 13, 2008
Sun City, California
yes. all chicks from crosses with leghorns should look like that.

but there might be some ways you can figure out which is the father by other features such as pea comb, beards, feather leg(if Marans has it) also color of skin- Marans have white skin which is dominant over yellow- can tell by white legs vs yellow legs. So if there's a single comb white legged, it could be the Marans.

yellow legs single comb and probably fair bit of reddening as they mature could be the RIR's- seems he's the only yellow skin roo, so all yellow legs should be his.. unless the amer is really an EE in that case he could be yellow skin carrier or if his legs are green/yellow...

nicalandia

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 16, 2009
Stuck In a Dream
My Coop
My Coop
yes. all chicks from crosses with leghorns should look like that.

but there might be some ways you can figure out which is the father by other features such as pea comb, beards, feather leg(if Marans has it) also color of skin- Marans have white skin which is dominant over yellow- can tell by white legs vs yellow legs. So if there's a single comb white legged, it could be the Marans.

yellow legs single comb and probably fair bit of reddening as they mature could be the RIR's- seems he's the only yellow skin roo, so all yellow legs should be his.. unless the amer is really an EE in that case he could be yellow skin carrier or if his legs are green/yellow...
correct

Top Bottom