White Leghorns keep drowning.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thecarnie, Jan 28, 2014.

1. thecarnie

thecarnie New Egg

Mar 28, 2013
    So I walked out to feed my chickens today and found that another one of my leghorns has drowned. My garden hose has been frozen for a week or so, which is unusual where i live (SC), so I have kept my 15 gallon kettle out to keep liquid water around. It freezes over, but a little work with the garden tools and I break the ice and get the liquid out from inside to water the flock. Today the kettle completely thawed and i went out to find one of my Leghorns dead in the water. It isn't the first time that this has happened, but it is always a Leghorn that it happens to. 5 out of 10 leghorns drowned in water throats in a flock of 23 chickens total. The flock is a mix of golden comets, easter eggers, and silkies. This makes me want to steer clear of this breed next year, which is too bad because they give me more eggs than i could ever use. Any opinions or alternatives? Also the kettle stays in the shed when i don't need water storage like this.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  2. Triple Willow

Triple Willow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    Cover the kettle so birds can't get in it. I would have done that after the first one drowned.

2 people like this.
  3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

[​IMG]Uh....yeah. I'd be coming up with different watering options if you are using a 15 gal. kettle to water chickens. Any bird can accidentally slip into a bucket if they have to perch on the sides to get a drink. Shallow pans, nipple buckets, poultry waterers are all better options for chickens.

1 person likes this.
  4. thecarnie

thecarnie New Egg

Mar 28, 2013
    Easy solution for where this one drowned, but the others have drowned in various places around the yard. Once in a 2 inch deep pan, once in an auto waterer, and twice in used 4 gallon mayo buckets that contained rainwater. Each one individually is easy to fix, but this is leading me towards me believing there is something a little odd about this breed since they are the only ones to succumb to this.

Edit: also the kettle is only there for storage, I remove the water from it and take to the water pans.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  5. Beekissed

In a 2 in. deep pan???? No way!!! A grown bird drowned in 2 in. of water???? [​IMG]

6. Triple Willow

Mar 1, 2013
    Were they young birds when they drowned?

7. thecarnie

thecarnie New Egg

Mar 28, 2013
    It didn't start until around October when it started getting chilly. They were all grown by then,9 months old or so.
    And about the water pan one, whether it drown or died for some other reason leaves me wondering a bit, but it was in a 8'x8' run with no other explainable causes found it dead soaking in the water.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  8. Triple Willow

Mar 1, 2013
    I would keep the water emptied out of everything and containers covered and hope they got a little smarter as they get older.

9. Beekissed

I wouldn't ditch a breed because it has a hard time balancing on the side of a bucket and drinking but some birds are more dumb than others. Someone once gave me some red sex links and a couple of them drowned in the dog's water bucket and that had never happened with any of my other breeds. All the others were smart enough to use their own water pan or to balance successfully on the lip of the dog's bucket.

In your case, where you leave a lot of open, deep containers of water sitting around, it might be best to leave the leghorns out of the picture. Sounds like they just can't stay away from the water.

10. Triple Willow

Mar 1, 2013
    Do you have any ducks or geese with the leghorns?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by