White leghorns laying brown eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mtubbs, Aug 7, 2011.

1. mtubbs

mtubbs New Egg

Aug 7, 2011
    I have six white leghorns (at least that is how they were labeled) that I bought at my local Tractor Supply store in mid April. Here at 16 weeks I've started getting eggs, five in the past week. They are small, which I expected at first, however they are also light brown and not white. Any ideas?

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Do you have a picture of your birds? I know you can't post pics until you've posted 10 times.

3. mtubbs

mtubbs New Egg

Aug 7, 2011
    I just went and made some pics of them. I'll see if I can get at least one posted.

4. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

mtubbs----

Interesting. Sounds like maybe they aren't white leghorns. ;O)

I guess once you have put 10 posts on byc you can upload pictures. I'm not sure if you have to wait that long for your Page. (under 'My Page') in the blue bar above. Looking forward to the solution to this one.

5. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    What color are their ears? I am betting you have some Tetra Tints. Some Tetras lay white eggs and some lay creamy/light brown eggs.

6. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Some of TSC's favorites are tetra tints. White leghorns do not lay brown eggs, period.

7. mtubbs

mtubbs New Egg

Aug 7, 2011
    Ok, I posted a couple of pics of some of the girls on My Page and I also posted a pic comparing the first egg with a store bought large egg.

8. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    I had a white chicken that laid a nice cream/brown egg. I had to cull her for she got sick.
    I just looked at your page and they look the same as what I had and the egg is the same color. I was shocked when Della(RIP) started laying the cream color eggs.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  9. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Your pics reveal chickens that are not White Leghorns. True WLs have a beautiful blue pearl earlobe. Google WLs and check out the ear area.

10. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    I was going to suggest a White Rock, but they definitely DO look like a leghorn. At least MY WR doesn't have that large a comb!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by