White Leghorns laying cream colored eggs???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PandoraChick, Aug 1, 2013.

1. PandoraChick

PandoraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    The Dunes Indiana!
    Hello all,

So my leghorn pullets have begun laying...only problem is I am pretty sure they are laying cream colored eggs! They have been "squatting" for a week now when I reach out towards them, and they have nice red combs/wattles and wide bottoms. I do have have other pullets out there but none that look close to laying. My laying hens in the coop are Easter Eggers and dark brown egg layers so I highly doubt its one of them laying these pullet size cream colored eggs. I also have a RIR pullet around the same age, but she does not look like she is laying...Vent is not oval shaped, doesn't "squat", and has filling out to do... I guess I am wondering how the heck? Is this common? Could they be mixed with something? I have included pictures. I am really kinda sad about this..its the whole reason I bought leghorns...wanting to ":switch it up" a bit, and add some white to my basket.
    Another oddity...my leghorn girls are pretty friendly..I thought they were supposed to be flighty and skittish. They are flighty, and sometimes try to sleep up in the trees, but they are very friendly...My young daughter and I have handled them alot since we bought them a 3 weeks old, so maybe thats why...or perhaps they are a mix?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. garp94

garp94 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    New York
    Where did you get them from? {Do you trust the source??] That last picture doesn't look like a leghorn. They have much slimmer bodies.
    could it be a white plymouth rock????

3. PandoraChick

Apr 5, 2011
    The Dunes Indiana!
    Tractor Supply chick days ;( They came from Mt Healthy. That photo is a weird angle......though I do have a white plymouth rock pullet.

4. PandoraChick

Apr 5, 2011
    The Dunes Indiana!
    I also think she had just riffled her feathers as I took this, They are smaller/thinner then any of my others.

5. dandrews1971

dandrews1971 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thats a white rock.
    Looks exactly like my Alberta & Henrietta.

6. kada6305

kada6305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    Do you have any ducks? I thought my leghorns were laying cream colored eggs as well...found out it was actually my mallard :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Flaisure

Flaisure Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2015
    Eugene Oregon
    I have noticed that one of my Brown Leghorns are laying cream/ off white colored eggs as well
    Ducky
    [​IMG]
    Rosy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  8. Matt H

Matt H Just Hatched

Aug 15, 2016
    Saraland AL
    I'm sure my California White is laying cream colored eggs too. I bought two of the Cali Whites from TSC and traded one to a friend. He's having the same issue. Seems like a common occurrence from what I read. She's a sweet gal so I think I'll keep her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by