White Leghorns - need some attention

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by juststruttin, Jan 25, 2011.

1. juststruttin

juststruttin Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    California
    I just thought I would give a little attention and tribute the the White Leghorn who seems to be leftout in this forum. Last year I purchased 250 hatchery chicks, from three different hatcheries, with the intention of selling 100 and keeping 150. In that order, I purchased 50 of McMurrays Pearl White Leghorns because their description of them convinced me that they would be good layers.

When clients came to buy their new chicks, nobody wanted the leghorns. I started to freak out a bit and realized I was going to end up with all 50. Well, long story short, I was only able to sell 10 of the 50 which means that now my own flock is 1/3 dominated by these leghorns.

Although the Leghorns were somewhat un-interested and a bit flighty as chicks, they have grown up to be one of my favorite birds in my flock. They are the first to meet me at the gate and will follow me around like dogs. They are extremely smart, curious and just fun to have around. Also,,,, man do these girls lay. They started laying at 10 weeks and the eggs size went from medium to large to extra large within a few weeks. I am so happy these girls did not sell as chicks, because they are the ones that kept my egg business afloat this past winter.

Why am I telling you all this, because I think these birds have gotten a bad rap and I am hoping more people will give them a try. However, I can only recommend the ones from McMurray, whose strain might just be more docile than other lines. I did not order more White Leghorns this year, because my girls are still young and my egg clients really prefer brown eggs, but I still thought I'd give them a shout out.

I'd love to hear other peoples experience with leghorns, especially if they come from other hatcheries.

2. 2overeasy000

2overeasy000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    I only have 7 hens. 1 white leghorn. As pullets she was by far the most flighty and I thought she was going to be a headache. But, she has settled right down and is the first to greet and follows around like a dog just like you said. She is also the most consistent layer of large white eggs. I know for sure because she is the only white egglayer that I have.

3. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    [​IMG]
    I just love the leghorn breed. None of mine are flighty, skittish and whatever else the books say about them. Their my lap birds and my very first breed of chicken. I love both the standard and the bantam varietys. Always laid back and wanting to chat or be petted (Except for my ol hen that likes to spar with me [​IMG] but she's a good birds after a little play spar!) Even now my going on 3 year ol hen Krispy gives me a beautifull egg a day.

[​IMG] for leghorns!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  4. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    [​IMG] to both of you!

Thanks so much for this info. I just think the white leghorns look amazing. But you always hear that they are flighty and shy. It's good to know that's not always the case. I mean, some of the most docile breeds are going to have an occasional flighty bird in the bunch.

Do you think that handling them and your interaction with them had something to do with their friendliness?

Another reason I think a lot of folks don't want to bother with them is that they aren't dual purpose. With other breeds, it's easier to use the extra roos for meat. What do folks do with surplus Leghorn roosters?

Please provide pictures, if you have them. I've actually got a few exchequer leghorns coming my way soon!

Oh, are they loud birds? I saw on the breed page that they were described as being noisy.
    Thanks.

5. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Taken in 2010 My youngest leghorn girl up on Santas shoulder! She's such a muddhen and a sweetheart [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I'll let you know. I hatched four Trader Joe's eggs, and the chicks are apparently white leghorns. The eldest is 25 days old now; the youngest is 18 days old (two hatches) and they're all showing white feathers. I think 3 of the 4 are pullets!

It might be hard to find this exact thread in 15-20 weeks, but after all of 'em have been laying for a week or so, I'll get back to y'all.
    [​IMG]

7. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

I am a Leghorn fan, too!

The white Leghorns I used to have never missed a day of laying. (Dog attack) l now have Leghorns in red and silver and though I do not think they are as productive as the whites, they are still great birds.

8. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I love my leghorns!! I hate that they are so frostbite prone, so I may not get them again, but they are the sweetest out of all my birds. I lost one to internal laying, but the other three lay a HUGE white egg every day and also follow me around like puppy dogs. My RIR won't let me near them but the leghorns are easy to handle. I've said it on here before, it's amazing that such a skinny little bird can lay such a gigantic egg each day. Mine are from MPC.

They even laid yesterday when it was -26 outside.

9. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Quote:Try getting some rose combed. [​IMG]

10. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Quote:Try getting some rose combed. [​IMG]

Ooh! I didn't even know leghorns could be found with rose combs. Really? Neat. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by