White leghorns not laying

Kathy1827

In the Brooder
May 19, 2018
Franklin TN
I have 3 white leghorns in our mixed flock, they are a year old. we have only had about 10 eggs from all of them. It is easy to tell as they are the only white egg layers :)
All the chicks are normally free ranged in the PM so thinking the leghorns may be laying outside of the coop we have been keeping them in. No luck. They all look well, eating and drinking. They all get good quality food
All the other chicks are laying.

Any ideas?

White leghorns is the only breed I've ever had. They will cut back about this time of year but not quit. Right now I'm getting an average of maybe 1/2, but I have never had a day that I didn't get at least one or two eggs from 5-8 white leghorn hens after they started laying good. I don't do the lights in the coop to extend laying thing. If your is a year old, I find it odd. With 3, I'd assume you should still get one egg at least every other day.

I've also never had one do a full molt and quit laying for a few weeks. They always just loose several feathers and keep on, but I've never kept them over 2 years old. I think sometime after that, they start to go downhill.

Now if they lay an egg and it busts open, they will eat egg and shell in several minutes time and the only evidence is a yellowish spot. If they don't bust open, they won't eat them.

Sometimes they will lay an egg in an odd spot, but usually they try to lay in the nest unless its occupied and they can't get in there or maybe mad at the hen that is in the way or something.

Thanks for the reply. We have kept them in their large pen for the last 2 weeks to keep an eye on them, no eggs, not 1. They are eating well, social, have plenty of water, bedding, etc. the other breeds are still laying.
I am lost over this, for all 3 not to lay is crazy!

Hi Dobielover

These have only given us 10 eggs, between the 3 hens, in the year we have had them.
They are sure having a long break :)
I have the same trouble my blue leg layers and one white leg layer total 3 havnt laid an egg since my mate who I was so angry with give them chips ! which were over a day old I paid £105 for these chickens and I feel as if I'm feeding pets ! It's now January no eggs,would you take them back to the breeder as he said they were good egg layers or give them a chance as it's darker days !

Back
Top Bottom