White Leghorns, or something else? Also, is Spunky a rooster or hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sunshyne276, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Sunshyne276

Sunshyne276 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Richlands, Virginia
    Ok.. I bought these two back in March, from Tractor Supply. They were in the assorted bin. I was told they were mostly white Leghorns.....but i'm really not sure? Spunky looks a lot like what I think a Leghorn should look like. But Henny, she has a different look, don't ya think? And, she has cute tan freckles on her wings. So... I don't know?

Also... I thought "Spunky Rooster" was going to be, well, a rooster! lol But, after seeing a Leghorn hen that looks so much like him, I am not so sure! Anyone have any idea?

[​IMG]

...and, when my babies were "babies".. lol
    [​IMG]

Thanks bunches! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  2. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    well Ill take a guess, both leghorns.... ones roo though because there really not the old so I got think its comb would be that big... but I have never owned a leghorn before, Good-luck [​IMG]

3. Sunshyne276

Jun 10, 2010
    Richlands, Virginia
    Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I think Spunky looks like a rooster, I really do. I was almsot 100% convinced of it, until I seen a leghorn hen that has a big comb, and looks so much like him. I really don't know! lol

And, I have wondered if Henny may be a white Plymouth Rock? But then, those freckles on her wings... I just don't know! lol

Again....thanks for the reply! [​IMG]

4. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    the one with the smaller comb could be White rock.. but idk, and Leghorns do have pretty big combs for a hen.

5. mboreham1

mboreham1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Carmichael, CA
    the one in the back is a duck, i am sure of it, they have more rounded beaks than chickens, they quack rather than cluck, if you listen carefully you can **just** tell the difference. Also the feet have strange links between the toes, plus from the field research i have seen, ducks are great swimmers, chickens not so much, so if all the other duck vs chicken tests return inconclusive, put them in a bath, float = duck, sink = chicken. Make sure you dont let the chicken sink to deep, you dont want to drown the poor things.

6. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    [​IMG]

I was wondering about that one!!!!! Didn't look quite like a Leghorn to me, but I have been wrong before!

The one on the left looks to be mix. The comb is partially hidden, but it looks like it could be a pea comb, and it looks like small muffs also on that one. Maybe an EE x Leghorn???

I can't tell from the picture if they are roosters or not. Do you have any pictures of them from the side, so we can see if there is any roo looking hackle and saddle feathers coming in?

Jean

7. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice conclusion! lol
    Quote:

8. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

i would say both leghorns and one is a roo. mine have big combs, and are hens, but they didnt get the comb until they were older. And i agree the one in the back is a duck

9. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    NO!!! the one on the back is IS NOt a duck...................... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

JUST KIDDING [​IMG]

10. Sunshyne276

Jun 10, 2010
    Richlands, Virginia
    I am *so* glad we have established that Bucky duck is indeed a duck! This has been a huuuuuge concern for me! lmbo [​IMG] =P
    (I just don't know how well Bucky will take the news, after all he has grown up with chickens, and has no idea he's a duck! lol)

Anyway, thanks all, for the replies.. I will try to get better pics of them all soon, and re-post. No, Henny doesn't have a peacomb, it's just a small comb, but you really can't see it in that pic. So yeah, when I get better pics, will post them!

Thanks again! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by