White leghorns or....?

Georgia peach

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 24, 2014
Bought these at TSC as white leghorns. Not thinking they are anymore! They have huge feet and already weigh about 5 lbs at 5 weeks old! Can anyone tell me what they are? I am thinking Cornish cross but I AM new to chickens so...any ideas?

Georgia peach

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 24, 2014
So does that mean I was correct? Cornish cross vs Cornish x? Sorry...I did say I was new to this right? Lol!

Georgia peach

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 24, 2014
Sigh...OK. Thanks for the replies! Now what to do with them? TSC is soooooo on my bad side right now! I will not eat them so....guess maybe they will lay for a while?

Molly Sunshine

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 19, 2014
Southern illinois
Sigh...OK. Thanks for the replies! Now what to do with them? TSC is soooooo on my bad side right now! I will not eat them so....guess maybe they will lay for a while?

Except that it looks like you have some roosters there... i have 4 cornish crosses and those definitely look like roosters to me. Of the 4 i have 3 are roosters... also tsc chicks!!

WalkingOnSunshine

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
Ohio
If Cornish X are not fed VERY carefully, they will not live to laying age. They'll die around 12 weeks or sooner from heart attacks, problems breathing, broken legs, etc. They simply outgrow the ability of their bodies to live.

If you can't bear to eat them, give them to someone who will. Sell them on Craigslist, give them to a food pantry (make sure they can handle live donations), ask around to see if you know someone who's willing to butcher their own meat. It's not a kindness to let Cornish X live past the time when they should be processed.

Some people have kept Cornish X to laying age. Again, it takes very careful food management, never letting them have as much as they want and forcing them to do a lot of foraging to keep their hearts healthier. They tend to be extremely food aggressive when they're older, too.

All that being said... I only see males in your photos, so the point is moot anyway.

Top Bottom