White Leghorns vs. Golden Comets

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by muffassa, Mar 10, 2017.

1. muffassa

muffassa Just Hatched

Jan 24, 2017
    Which do you think is better for laying eggs, getting along with others, predator savvy , healthier, resilient, and which breed is just a overall better choice, the White Leghorn or Golden Comet. I am getting 5 Golden Comets from a breeder this June but originally ask for Leghorns and he talked me out of them. Did I make a mistake? Just wanting your thoughts on this.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    Both breeds have their own set of pros and cons - and it goes beyond pure production. What reasons did the breeder use in talking you out of the WL? Did he tell you what cross he uses for the "Golden Comet" (red sex ink)? I only ask as some folks are under the impression if you breed a RSL to RSL you get more RSLs and that is not the case - have seen some unsuspecting buyers end up with disappointing birds that way (disappointing as the sex linking is not a second generation trait so lots of "oops" roosters instead of pullets)

3. muffassa

muffassa Just Hatched

Jan 24, 2017
    Hi ole gray,
    No he didn't tell what cross he uses but said all his customers are very happy with them. He said the only one he gives leghorns to is his Dad. I respect the older generation and think there might be a good reason he likes them. almost wish I had stuck to my guns and insisted on what I wanted. Who knows maybe I'll like the Golden Comets. I hear they lay well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by