White leghorns with black spots on legs (pic.)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rachel1, Jan 12, 2012.

1. rachel1

rachel1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2011
    I have some white leghorns, a couple of them have black spots on their legs. They look likke bruises but have been there for a while. They are yellow legged[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  2. rachel1

Dec 8, 2011
    Help is she sick? Are they bruises?

3. ChickChickChicky

ChickChickChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2011
    Greater Kansas City, MO
    Have you caught any and closely examined the black spots? Are the spots raised or crusty? I don't have any real ideas, but maybe a good examination report would help someone else????

4. rachel1

Dec 8, 2011
    yes I have and nope they are no crusty or raised........just different color. Also they have just appeared in the last 3 weeks. They have never had them.

5. rachel1

Dec 8, 2011
    Help please tell me if these black spots are ok.......I post on here and usually only one person says something.....am i doing something wrong?

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

By any chance are your white leghorns actually california whites? Often they are substituted for each other and cali whites do have the ocasional black feathers hiding on their bodies, so I would not put it past them to pop out some black scales too.

7. rachel1

Dec 8, 2011

Nope ..........Definately white leghorns

8. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I have a BR with the same darkened spots on her legs. I assumed mine was bruising because my birds navigate some pretty rough terrain when free-ranging. I guess I will have to take more note of the spots and see if they fade over time.

9. chickieshealing

chickieshealing Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2011
    Ao Nang, Krabi, Thailand
    Did you ever figure out those dark spots? My buff Brahma has just got those recently and I was concerned.

10. nicfischer5

nicfischer5 New Egg

Jun 25, 2014
    hi! wondering if you ever got to the bottom of this...? i have a leghorn/RIR mix whose legs look JUST like your picture. wondering if there is cause for concern. i will post a picture asap. thanks!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by