JDonn127

Chirping
Jun 25, 2020
Bucks County Pa
I have 4 white leghorns..... they are 16+ weeks.... i noticed that 3 of them are approximately the same size....their combs are dark pinkish.... but the 4th one is kinda smaller but seems more developed...bigger more red comb.... i bought them together from ts.... could the one be older even though smaller.

Attachments

eggsandhens

Songster
Jul 7, 2020
united states
I have 3 white leghorns and the smallest chick got the reddest/biggest comb and waddles first (and possibly laid the first egg, I don’t know). There might be a possibility that the smaller one is older, however age isn’t the only thing that affects redness/largeness of comb and waddles. Hope that helps!

JadeFarms

Crowing
May 3, 2019
Florida
Looks like a girl near POL, she could lay in a few weeks. Leghorns sometimes lay really early. Post pics on the side without the wire in the way.

JDonn127

Chirping
Jun 25, 2020
Bucks County Pa
So when they do start laying should i continue with the organic stater grower with separate oyster feeder of oyster shell or switch to layer feed once all 4 are laying? After read through alot of post here. Aart i value your opinion

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
So when they do start laying should i continue with the organic stater grower with separate oyster feeder of oyster shell or switch to layer feed once all 4 are laying? After read through alot of post here. Aart i value your opinion
That's up to you....I would put OS out now, then not switch to layer until they are all laying.
I've never used layer feed, just 20% Flock Raiser with Oyster shell in a separate feeder.
I like the higher protein to make up for daily scratch grains and occasional other treats.

JDonn127

Chirping
Jun 25, 2020
Bucks County Pa
I actually introduced OS yesterday.....I think i still have a couple of weeks to figure out what I’m gonna feed after they start to lay...... thx aart!!

Top Bottom