1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White Leghorns

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by animal_lover03, Sep 17, 2009.

1. animal_lover03

animal_lover03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    When did your white leghorns start laying?

2. ilovebuffs

ilovebuffs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    Senoia, GA
    I have one white leghorn hen and she has been laying for about 2wks now...that would make her about 21wks when she started laying...Pretty much every day. Good Luck:)

Shelley

3. animal_lover03

animal_lover03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Anybody else?

4. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Same here, about 21 weeks. Mine's been laying for about a month here.

Laurie

5. demp4

demp4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2009
    Central NY
    Mine started laying 2 wks ago. She was 21 wks give or take a few days.

6. maf2008

maf2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    My white leghorns can OUTLAY any other breed. They started at 16/19 weeks and are the Ideal 236. My brown egglayers or Red stars can't touch my leghorns. [​IMG] [​IMG]

The 236 Leghorn from Ideal is "plain" looking but lays eggs like BOMBS! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I had one start at 19 weeks, and 1 at 21 weeks. The 21 weeker has still never taken a day off, going on over 30 days now.

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Two of my three have been laying since the middle of their 21st week. They take every Sunday off, and occasionally one other day of the week. Most days I get 2 eggs though.

They're going on 25 weeks or so, and their sister is just starting to get a little more comb/wattle development & coloring, so I guess she's just a late bloomer. My Redstar isn't laying yet either.

9. Chickens in Elmwood

Chickens in Elmwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2009
    Elmwood, WV
    20 weeks. She has been laying for about 3 weeks or so, and has only missed one day, and that was the day after she laid two in one day. She is an egg MACHINE!

10. chicken ridl

chicken ridl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2009
    illinois
    Keep an eye on there comb and wattles.
    When they get good and red they will be ready.
    Some take longer than others. I know is hard to wait.
    The leg horn is a great choice for lots of large eggs. When mine started I had small eggs and then they got larger and larger and I had a lot of double yokers for a while but not too many now.
    I have 26 barred rocks that started about a month ago all but one is still a little small yet.
    Keep waiting they will come.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by